When I was young I loved to drink bouillon, made from *cubes of ickiness. Of course I didn't know that they weren't healthy for me, as a matter of fact just the opposite - I thought I was drinking something healthy. I know better now, and so I make my broth from scratch - yum! I love chicken and beef stock made from healthy animals. My kids won't drink it straight, but some of them will eat it in egg drop soup - that super simple, restaurant soup. Me, I like it better unthickened, but Sylvia -who is often my soup sharer does. This recipe has you thicken the soup before you add the eggs - I think it is optional. Your call!
I love this in the morning - for lunch and also for a light dinner - it is perfect when you are under the weather, and it is gluten free - a perfect meal.
I know you will be making it with a hearty bone broth, so that along with the eggs this will be a SUPER dee DOOPER food, very nutrient dense!
Egg Drop Soup
- 1 onion, chopped OR 1 bunch green onions use both white and green parts
- 1 Tbsp butter (the best you can buy)
- 8 cups of homemade chicken broth (you can use beef or vegetable if you would like or even plain water with plenty of salt)
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger - I like to grate some fresh
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp arrowroot powder (or corn starch) + 3 Tbsp water
- 6 eggs from happy chickens
2. Mix arrowroot powder or cornstarch with water, you want it smooth.. Add to pot, stirring until thickened.
3. With your trusty whisk - whisk the eggs and then slowly, slowly add it to the soup. It will form beautiful ribbons of delicious healthy eggs.
How simple is that? And full of super nutrients. Be sure to check out this post on making your own broth and this post where I talk about how wonderful and marvelous eggs are.
*Curious as to the ingredients in a chicken bouillon cube? Me too so I googled it and this is what I got:
Hydrogenated fat (m.p. 45-50°C)
Chicken Bouillon Supreme Flavor (B1511)
Chicken Bouillon Supreme Aroma (B1512)
Antioxidants Mix (I6180)
I am linking this to the Wonderful Hearth and Soul Hop! Cohosted by myself, and 4 other amazing bloggers. Join us in the fun!
I am also linking this to Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday.