My Followers are the Greatest! I just love them!

Monday, May 11, 2009

What Do You do with Leftover Porkchops?

There are 9 people living in my house. Sometimes there are 9 people eating dinner - sometimes there are 4 or 5. It is hard to gauge things like pork chops - which everyone loves. The other evening I cooked for 9 and only 5 ate. That leaves 5 leftover pork chops (Doug eats 2 when he is home).
What to do - First I cut up 2 and made pork and bean soup. Then I made pork fried rice, and with the last 1.5 chop I made bbq pork. Everything I used was just hanging out in the fridge, freezer or pantry - yea!

Pork and Bean Soup

Carrots - sliced thin and little
Celery - same
1/2 onion chopped small
fry in extra virgin olive oil until soft
add about a tsp of chopped garlic
To this I added about a cup of navy beans and 1.5 cups blackeyed peas 2 cups of water, chicken flavored soup base, and veggie flavored soup base. I added 1 cup of brown rice then bring to a boil, I then added a glug of white wine (1/4 cup maybe) and a handful of spinach. Cook until spinach is soft and remove from stove. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This is really good - all leftovers or things that I needed to use up!


Pork Fried Rice

2 cups cooked brown rice - cooled.

Celery, carrots chopped small - fry in evoo.
I then added some frozen mixed mushrooms and some frozen pearl onions.

At this point, take 1 egg and scramble it - make it very thin pancake like then chop up small.

I added a little chopped garlic when the carrots were softish, then I added 2 big handfuls of bean sprouts. Over this I poured about a 1/4 cup white wine 2tbs Pad Thai sauce. When the beans were cooked I added the brown rice and cut up pork chops. Over this I poured maybe 1-2 TBS of sesame oil. When this was all heated through I removed one serving for Joe (he can't have soy) then splashed a little soy sauce on top, stirred and served -yummmy!

BBQ Pork
Cut up whatever amount of leftover pork you have into small pieces, dump BBQ sauce over. Warm. Serve on buns. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
I realize these are not real recipes - nothing was measured, everything just dumped in. However, I hope you can see how delicious food can come from humble beginnings. The bonus is it is all gluten free (I used tamari which is made from soy not wheat) soy free (without the tamari) milk free and the cost was almost free because everything was just hanging around the kitchen without a real purpose.
"This post included in Real Life's Your Life Your Blog"

0 comments:

Post a Comment