My Followers are the Greatest! I just love them!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

J is for Jars



Jelly Jars, Canning Jars, Spaghetti Jars - besides the obvious - Jelly, Veggies, Fruits and Spaghetti what else do you put in your Jinormous Jumbo collection of glass and plastic Jars?

  • We keep leftovers in them. 
  • Q-tips, 
  • spare change, 
  • dried beans, pasta, rice, oatmeal - anything that needs a tight lid. 
  • spices
  • We use plastic jars from jelly or ketchup as one time use water bottles (my kids always get comments at practice about this). 
  • I use glass Juice Jars that are empty to store my homemade broths in.  
  • Water - I don't have an ice maker so we keep cold water in the fridge in Jars.
  •  Gifts - we make cookies or cakes in a Jar, or Bean Soup (you know where you layer the ingredients)
  • There are so many ways to use them - what do you use empty Jars for?


Jar Jar Binks, meesa loves Jar Jar Binks! (nothing frugal about Jar Jar, meesa just loves Jar Jar)

Cookie Jars - who stole the cookie from the cookie jar? Who me? Yes YOU!

Stones, Pebbles or Sand - What do you have in your Jar of Life? - Do you remember this story? The professor fills a big Jar first with big stones, is it full he asks? Yes was the reply. He then pours in pebbles into the Jar asking "is it full now?". "Apparently not". He then dumps a bunch of sand in the Jar which fills it up even more - but is it full yet? What about if you pour water in? Now it is full! The professor then asks "What great lesson can we learn?" And someone answers "no matter how busy we are we can always add more." "No, the lesson is if we don't put the big stones in the Jar first we wont be able to fit them in later!"
What are the big stones in your life? God, family, friends, health, country? Or is it other things - things that can be good but shouldn't be the big stones? Like Facebook or TV or even exercise.

I just discovered Jenny Matlock's Alphebe-Thursdays! I am going to be playing along! So Jump on over and Join in on all the Jolly good fun!

Jenny Matlock

I am also linking this to Life As Mom's Frugal Friday...go check out all the other great frugal posts.

23 comments:

  1. Good "J" post and welcome! I love different kind of jars. I don't have canisters for my flour, etc., I use glass jars...things look prettier in jars. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great use of the word jar. I heard that story about the "jar of life" but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. Good job on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need some jars, actually - my flour and sugar and all sorts of other things would look way prettier and better organized that way. Thanks for the reminder! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you wrote about the jars of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! Jars can be filled with jelly beans too! Have a great Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i use our jars to hold my scrap supplies and my DH uses them for nuts and bolts :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jars...very cool post. My favorite "big stones"...the ones I can stand on in the stream of life:-) Peace and blessings from a "Catholic Lite" Episcopalian...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the jar of life story I had not heard it before. We use jars all over our house. I have crafting supplies in them, rocks and shells, game pieces, cookie cutters, our canned goods from last summer, the list goes on. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this post! We also reuse our jars -- I even freeze leftovers in them (you just have to keep the lid loose until it's frozen, then tighten it). And I appreciate the reminder about putting the large stones in the jar first!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A new kid in class. Welcome. Very good J post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome, welcome to Alphabe-Thursday!

    Great J post!

    The first thing that came to mind for me was Sun Tea!

    Here in Arizona it takes about 5 minutes to make it in the summer!

    It is wonderful to see the texture and interest your post adds to our meme.

    Thanks for participating.

    Happy J Day!

    And A+ for your J is for Jars post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes, jars are so handy! I use them all over. In the bathroom for cotton balls and q-tips, in the bedroom for spare change, in the kitchen for EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love jars, I used to collect them and they're quite nice for flowers and little trinkets

    thanks for your visit

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I love jars. We use jars to teach our daughters money management. They each have a saving jar, spending jar & giving jar. I also use jars to store things in my pantry like chocolate chips, rice, beans, etc. I plan to start canning my own veggies and jellies and look forward to a pantry full of them. I loved reading about how you use jars.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful J post, Welcome to Alphbe-Thursday!!! i have jars filled with craft supplies, glitter, soap, potions, lotions and all kinds of goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love old mason jars with wildflowers in the,...so pretty...I love the jar story too, I had never heard it before......

    ReplyDelete
  17. a jar for fireflies.
    a jar for ant
    a jar for little frogs
    a jar for a caterpillar

    Jars are necessaries for childhood life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great jars post - creative word. I just put pickles (well cucumbers) in jars today. Here's hoping we can all place the most precious and important stones in our life jars first.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks everyone for stopping and commenting on my post! I love all the additional ways to use jars. I really love jars!
    Being the new kid in class is certainly fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great Ideas for jars! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mister Linky is up for this week's Crock Pot Wednesday. I figured with the busy week and weekend, that we should get an early start. I hope you will come on over and join me. There's a giveaway going on.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your family is beautiful! Thanks for visiting my site! i just uploaded a pic of the Clam Chowder! It is so good! The recipe is from the Lobster House in Cape May, NJ. One of the top 10 Seafood Restaurants in America!

    Right now I have jars w homemade strawberry jam, blueberry jam, & peach jam & homemade pickles. Time to eat before summer! God is good!
    Happy Easter! Jennifer aka Gigi

    ReplyDelete