Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Gather your ingredients:
2 cups oats
3/4 cup flaxseed-crushed
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup mixed nuts - crushed
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
4 Tbsp grapeseed oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp Kosher salt (didn't have any - used regular)
approximately 8 oz. dried fruit cut up
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Then, mix the nuts, oats, and sunflower seeds. Toast them in a dry pan on the stove stirring every few minutes so that they don’t get burned. When they are toasted add the flaxseed for just a minute - watch out it burns quickly.
- Meanwhile, prepare a glass baking dish (about 11 x 13 inches) for your granola by lining it with waxed paper lightly sprayed with a nonstick spray.
- Put the brown sugar, honey, grapeseed oil, vanilla, and salt into a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- By now, your grains and nuts should be toasted, so mix everything together in a large bowl. The grains, the liquid “glue,” and the dried fruit.
- Mix everything REALLY WELL because you want to make sure the “glue” gets all over everything. Now, dump your granola mixture into your prepared baking dish.
- Spread out the mixture with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Now fold over the sides of the waxed paper or add a sheet on top, and PRESS HARD all over the granola. You want to compact it together so that your bars won’t fall apart when you cut them.
- Wait 2-3 hours or until the granola has totally cooled.
- Then, open the waxed paper …
And carefully turn the granola onto a large cutting board, peeling away the rest of the paper.
- Now, firmly pressing down with a big knife (not sawing), cut your granola into whatever size bars you’d like.
I got my inspiration from this post.