My Followers are the Greatest! I just love them!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Old Fashioned Vegetable Beef Shank Soup


hello
I have a freezer full of unusual (to me anyways) cuts of meat. 
I have shared my adventures with liver and heart and tongue in the past. 
The other day I pulled out a package that said "beef shank" a cut I have only used once before.
I was in the mood for a comfort food.
After looking at several recipes for beef shank I decided it would be perfect used in an 
"Old Fashioned Vegetable Beef Soup". 
Or something like 
"kitchen sink soup - as in everything but the sink".
Mimi always made a pot of something like this every week or so 
with all the leftovers in the refrigerator. 
I think this turned out just as delicious.
Don't be afraid of the number of ingredients - 
some are optional and all are ones you probably already have.

Old Fashioned Vegetable Beef Shank Soup
aka Kitchen Sink Soup

2 lbs or so of Beef Shank
1TBS Salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
3 or 4 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
6 cups beef broth (I used homemade -yum)
1 cup red wine (I used a Merlot)
1 small onion - chopped
2 medium potatoes - peeled and cubed
2 turnips - peeled and sliced (optional but yummy)
2 stalks celery - sliced
2 carrots sliced
1 can tomatoes  - fire roasted would be good if you have it - with juice (break up if you use whole)
1/2 cup each frozen corn, peas and green beans - or whatever you have
1 cup cooked lentils and 1 cup cooked beans - optional but delicious.
1 cup noodles - I used macaroni - optional too - g/f if you use them or omit this
1TBS Worcestershire sauce

In a large pot - I used my enameled cast iron pot - combine the first 8 ingredients. Simmer, covered for 2 1/2 - 3 hours - until your meat is tender. Remove meat and bay leaf. Cut the meat off the bone and cut into small pieces. There is a lot of fat on this piece that I removed because I know my family wouldn't eat it - but if you like it I am sure it would be delicious. Return to soup, add onion, potatoes, turnips, celery, carrots and tomatoes - cook until carrots are soft - add frozen veggies and lentils and beans macaroni and cook until noodles are almost done. Add the Worcestershire sauce.  Remove from heat - it will continue to cook your noodles. You also could cook the noodles separately and add when the soup is done.

When I was done I put that beef bone in the freezer to save to make more beef broth!

I am linking this to the Hearth and Soul Hop, Tuesday Night Supper Club Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday.
Foodie Wednesday
and Sunday Night Soup Night!

16 comments:

  1. I like this soup as it contain lot of vegetables in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swathi - I love tons of veggies in my soups - it is my favorite way to eat them! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never cooked beef shank either, but I think I will go to the butcher and get one for this recipe! This sounds wonderful. I love soup, and what a great way to use up veggies. Love the noodles too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the group, this recipe sounds beautiful. Nothing like soup for cooking cuts of meat we might not normally try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom always made soups with beef shanks and it's a favorite in my home, too (husband had never had it before we met:)
    Yes, a lot of vegetables - a must!
    I have a leftover soup simmering on the stove as I write this, and I wish I had a small beef shank to enrich it:)
    I love your white soup bowl:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen some comfort beef dishes in these few days :) ...I have not cooked beef at home for some time...I am missing it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Yum!! Looks like a delicious soup. I could use a bowl right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. April - you won't be sorry - I really liked it a lot.

    Lindsay - you are so right - a soup is a great way to try out an unusual cut!

    Lana - lucky you! I wish I had grown up on such yummy cuts. Thanks - the bowl was my Mother-in-law's that we inherited.

    Tiger- ah, there is just something so comforting about a beef soup/stew - I think you should make some ;o)

    Tiffanee - thanks! It is a yummy dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Christy-bo-bisty! Beef shank is similar I think to Ox tail (really beef tail) in that there is a central marrow bone and meat all around. Certainly it is one of the tastiest of all the meat and when you cook it this way it literally falls off the bone and makes such a delicious soup! I am totally going to see if my farm has beef shanks because my kids asked me for some beef stew the other day-this would work just great for them too! YUM! Glad you got to successfully try something new! Thanks as always for hosting and posting on the hearth and soul hop! Huge hugs! alex

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a hearty stew! It looks absolutely delicious!

    I often feel I should apologize for my lengthy lists of ingredients, but that is what happens when you use real food instead of a package or can that already contains multiple ingredients. And it really is amazing how many veggies you can chop, while meat is browning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alex - thanks! I really loved this cut of meat - your kids will be super glad you did get some!

    Alea - I know, to me the more "stuff" the better, I just struggle with simple. Easy I do, but few ingredients that is sooo hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can't beat good, hearty soups and this looks absolutely fantastic! I could just picture myself eating it with a nice chunk of bread in front of a roaring fire :) Thanks for sharing the recipe, it's something that I shall try out!

    I'm also taking part in the Hearth & Soul hop this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aurelia - thanks - it would be delicious in front of a fire! I am glad you are participating in the Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. christy--this looks amazing and i know my husband would be a BIG fan of this..even with the veggies. i am definitely going to make it before it gets too warm here in california. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hhhmmm, beef shank...this sounds delicious! I'm going to track down some beef shank this weekend :) Thanks for sharing this with Sunday Night Soup Night, look forward to seeing you again soon!

    ReplyDelete