My Followers are the Greatest! I just love them!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Beef Stew with Beets

So you know how I just learned to like beets? Well I was inspired by The Local Cook's Winter Borscht  as I made my way through the Two for Tuesday posts - I am inspired by so many of the recipes - I wish I could make more.  Her recipe sounds so amazing.

I had a couple problems dilemmas  to making it - I don't have any barley, my kids are not cooked cabbage fans eaters (at least in soups) I know, you would think with their German Heritage they would be but they aren't and finally my meal had to cook for 3 hours - I had a ball game to go to and needed it in the oven the whole time.

So I decided to make a stew. I heart stew! Stew is my go to winter meal. I had purchased some golden beets (I think that is what they were called) these babies are beautiful and sneaky. They cook up white - so no one knew they were eating beets!! Bwahahaha evil momma! Oh,and I added a half of a turnip - just for fun because I promised I would try turnips this week. The great thing was both veggies cook up white so no one knew if they were eating a potato or not. I did get a complaint of "too many potatoes" LOL!

Beef Stew with Beets
1 1lb grass fed stew meat, browned in lard
1/2 large onion diced - cooked with meat
2 cloves garlic mashed
3-4 carrots sliced
4 golden beets, cleaned, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 turnip peeled and cut into chunks
2 large potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
2 celery stalks sliced
2 cups broth - beef would be best, I only had chicken and it worked
1 cup apple juice or cidar
1 cup tomato juice (optional) (you could use a can of diced tomatoes also)
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp rosemary
Salt and Pepper to taste

Brown meat in dutch oven along with onion, add garlic and stir for a minute or so. Add rest of ingredients cover and put in a 275 degree oven for 3 to 3.5 hours - low and slow. Resist the urge to check on it - put it in and walk away. 

I don't know if I would use the turnip again - too much white, and I don't know if I could fool my kids with regular beets so this is a special - if I can find them - meal that is delicious with golden beets!

It would be great served with noodles or mashed potatoes - I didn't because my husband got into the dish before I got home and everyone was eating it when I got there.

I did get a complaint that it was too sweet - I used apple cider, I will just use juice next time. 

I am linking this to Simple Lives Thursday @ A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa (A blog hop!)
and Food Renegade's Fight Back Friday!
And my favorite class - yea! Mrs. Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday!
Wholesome Whole Foods #21 @ HealthFoodLover


  1. Yum! And I was so happy to read about your beet conversion a couple of posts ago:) People don't know what they're missing!

    Sorry, I really must proof before I post:)

  2. I too am a fan of stews. This looks good and it has been bookmarked for later use. Thanks.

  3. Way to sneak in a bunch of potato look alikes!

  4. I love a hearty stew. They're healthy, tasty, and versatile all in one! I didn't know that radishes came in different colors! I'm going to have to track those yellow ones down; yum!

  5. Yum! That sounds great. I didn't come around to beets until fairly recently too, but now I love them.

  6. It really feels like stew weather in Seattle as well! Thanks for linking up to Simple Lives Thursday.

  7. I love golden beets but they are very hard to get hold of here. I may try growing them in my garden next year if I can find some seeds. Your stew looks delicious - and I like the idea of the apple cider/juice in it.

  8. I've only had pickled beets in a can and was not impressed. I'm sure this is nothing like it and I would LOVE to try them!! LOVE beef stew, perfect for fall.

  9. I'm going to give this a whirl when turnips & beets come in season down here. We don't eat potatoes, so a stew featuring other root veggies is always a plus!

  10. Hi Christy,
    Thanks so much for visiting my blog and the lovely comments.
    Regarding the kaamvali mum smtimes complains that I miss her more!
    And this stew is looks so comforting & hearty.Will try with chicken.
    Sinfully Spicy

  11. City and Heather - I am so glad I am a beet lover now!
    Julie - I didn't know beets came in different colors either until I bought them!
    Arnold - thanks, stews are awesome!
    S.E. - It is great when the weather cools a bit isn't it?!
    April - I hope you do, I like the golden one better than the red ones.
    Debbi - I double dog dare you to make some beets homemade! Let me know if you do ;O)
    motherhen- I am sure you will like this - the potatoes aren't necessary!
    Tanvi - oh I bet this would be delicious with chicken - I will have to try it myself!

  12. You are really embracing the beets! Go you! I really like turnips and honestly, they don't really taste all that different from potatoes. What a great stew!

  13. great stew, perfect for fall and so hearty


  14. Hi Christy,
    Followed you here via the comments you left on my blog..let me tell you I just enjoy reading your comments and your that I am here I can see that your recipes are great as well.
    I love beets but too bad I am a vegetarian. I will try to interpret your dish in the veggie form..Stew looks hearty n comforting! Also loved your home made Granola recipe.
    I will be linking more recipes tomorrow :)
    Take care,
    US Masala

  15. Joanne - I bought some more turnips today - I am hoping I learn to like them as well as the beets!
    sweetlife - thanks!
    aipi - this would be good vegetarian too - so many great veggies in it! Looking forward to your link up!
    Mrs. HH - I love me some stew too!

  16. How awesome that you were able to pass off beets as potatoes : )
    I'm going to have to remember that one!

  17. Yum. Hubs and I like stew a lot. I'll have to try it this winter.

  18. We bought some golden beets this summer and even my picky kids thought they were yummy!

    I like to add rutabaga to my soups, but I think the beets would make it sweeter!

  19. Sounds yummy. Good choice of B-word!
    I'm all for beef, being a cat.
    Sara Cat

    Sara Cat's B-post JM
    Anna's B-post JM

  20. What a great stew! I love that you worked in beets.

  21. mle and JDaniel's Mom - yes I am tricky like that (although they are usually on to me!)
    Brenda - it is a perfect cold weather meal!
    gabe - I have not used rutabaga - I will try it next time!

    Thanks everyone for stopping and commenting!! Have a great weekend!

  22. Oh it sounds so yummy to me, my kids aren't stew eaters...sad for me

  23. This look sooo good! I don't even really like potatoes in my stew (I know, it's kindof a main ingredient in stew haha) so the turnip sounds mighty good!

  24. Sounds like a winter-time recipe! Yum!

  25. I love roasted beets. I would never have thought to use them in a stew, though.

    Clever idea and I will definitely try that!

    Thanks for the delicious link this week for Alphabe-Thursday!

    It was definitely 'food for thought' for me!


  26. Thanks will be adding this to my menu plan for winter

  27. I use red beets, turnip, some carrot celery and potato, lots of beef and mix and match spices between this and the winter borscht recipe. Beef/vegatable broth, rosemary, thyme, LOTS of dill.

    Everyone loves it.