My Followers are the Greatest! I just love them!

Friday, November 20, 2009

Cranberry Waldorf Salad



It just wasn't Christmas without waldorf salad when I was growing up - I think it is a memory of my Dad's - his mom always made it and so did mine. My grandma was a utility cook - she had 16 children and so bulk cooking was her forte - she cooked 10 lbs of potatoes every day. So when she made something as special as this it just made the kids happy! My recipe is different then hers but it still feels special. I don't just save it for Christmas though, it is a great dish to take to a party!
Cranberry Waldorf Salad

2 lg apples, chopped
1 TBS lemon juice
2 celery ribs diced
1 cup fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, halved
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/4 cup real mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
2 TBS honey
1/8 tsp salt


In a large bowl toss apples with lemon juice. Add celery, cherries, cranberries and almonds.
In a small bowl, whisk the rest until well blended. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and put in frig for at least 1 hour for the flavors to "marry".

Linked to Fight Back Friday,
Frugal Fridays,
Real Food Wednesday
Friday Foods
and Party Time at Our Krazy Kitchen
and the 12 Days of Bloggie-mas On the 6th Day at A Moderate Life

5 comments:

  1. What a GREAT!!! salad recipe using cranberries. I love the combination of flavors.
    I have become a follower of your blog. I love to share recipes and ideas, come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same.
    THANKS!!! for the recipe.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love cranberries! This salad sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound good. I made mayo this week (first time) and it is a little lemony. I think it would be great in the dressing for your salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m thankful for great food and a loving family. Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for being so generous with your recipes on Momtrends. Love this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love waldorf salad and I love cranberries. This combination sounds divine. Thanks for sharing and don't give up blogging. Everyone has something to contribute, that's what makes it all so fun!

    ReplyDelete