My Followers are the Greatest! I just love them!

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Flies Flies Everywhere


The weather is warmer and with it comes those pesty annoying gross flies. We always seem to have a bajillion of them flying around my house.


After making sure my screens were in working order, my trash cans dusted with borax and any containing food have lids, be certain all counters and floors are kept "food free", made sure the compost is taken out daily, and my supply of flyswatters is handy and in use I still have too many flies.


I was thinking about buying some flystrips but then had a lightbulb moment....I bet I could make these. Without chemicals - cheaper than what I can buy at the hardware store.



I checked out several posts about them and came up with the following "recipes"



1.Combine equal parts honey, sugar and water in a saucepan.

2. Boil the mixture, stirring occasionally, until thick.

3. Remove from heat and let cool

4. Cut strips of brown packing tape, punch a hole on one end and loop a piece of string through the hole.

5. Dip the strips in the thick honey mixture and hang outside to dry, about 30 minutes.

6. Hang the strip in the area of worst infestation, and replace often.


Homemade Fly Paper
INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup corn syrup

1/2 cup sugar
1. Cut 4 or 5 long strips about 2 inches wide from brown paper bags. (don't forget to loop a piece of string through it so you can hang the thing!)

2.Mix the ingredients in a bowl and spread it on the strips with a knife.

3.Hang the strips over a bowl to catch drips.


I discovered that any sugary sweet mixture will attract them. Many people suggested using a 2 litre bottle with holes punched around the neck with a little water, sugar and a banana peel, hanging from a tree for outside troubles.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

1 comment:

  1. That is soooooooooooo COOL !!! I can't wait to try this and tell my MIL about it too !

    Thank you for sharing and joining in on the fun. Please join us again with all your great frugal tips.

    Blessings in Him<><
    -Mary @Raising 4 Godly Men
    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Canadagirl

    ReplyDelete