Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Ham and Cheese Strata - Breakfast Casserole Delish!
Ham and Cheese Strata
12 slices bread, cubed (any leftover bread works, just fill the bottom of the pan)
2 cups shredded cheese (I use raw cheddar and mozzarella - but any shredded cheese is yummy)
2 cups cubed ham (I usually use 1lb of bulk sausage, cooked)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 9oz pkg chopped brocolli, thawed (any veggie works, I have used peppers, asparagus, leeks)
1 2oz jar pimientos, drained (if I have this it makes the casserole look pretty)
6 eggs (free range if possible)
3 cups milk (ideally, organic, raw whole milk)
1/4 tsp dry mustard
salt and pepper
1. Grease 13x9 (3q) baking dish.
2. Layer bread, cheese, meat, onion, veggie and pimiento.
3. In a bowl combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper, mustard. (scramble the eggs up first before adding the milk or it is a pain in the tush to get them all broken and incorporated into the milk)
4. Pour egg mixture evenly over your baking dish. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or over night.
5. Heat oven to 325degrees. Uncover and bake about 70 minutes(can take up to 90 min) (check it often at the end) Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This is a great meal to have for Christmas morning and I also like to take it to a family when there has been a death because all they need to do is pop it in the oven.
Happily submitted to Homemaker Mondays, Works for Me Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Ann Kroekers Food on Friday, Fight Back Fridays at Food Renegade.
Updated to submit to Life as Mom's Ultimate Recipe Swap: Egg Dishes