My Followers are the Greatest! I just love them!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Mexican Corn with Cream


Tessa once again had to make a dish for Spanish class. (Remember her Holy Week Donuts?)
She forgot until this morning - typical child -
anyhow thankfully I have a recipe book addiction and happened to have one aptly named "The Complete Book of Mexican Cooking" by Jane Milton. Tessa desperately looked through it hoping to find a recipe with the following criteria:
1. Authentic-ish
2. Easy
3. Portable
4. We had the ingredients
5. Not a lot of steps

I think we came up with a winner - so much so that I am going to start making this as a regular dish in our meals - and certainly something to take to a potluck. This is a winner people - trust me. It reminds me of the corn on the cob you can buy from street vendors in Mexico - only better!



Mexican Corn with Cream
4 ears of corn (or 2 cans, drained;or 1 bag frozen)
1/4 cup butter (I used part coconut oil)
1 small onion finely chopped
1/2 small can (4oz can) of fire roasted chilis - more or less to taste
4 oz cream cheese (1/2 a brick)
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste.

Strip off the husks from the corm and pull off the silks. Place the ears in a bowl of water and use a vegetable brush to remove any remaining silks. Stand each ear in turn on a board and slice off the kernels, cutting as close to the cob as possible. OR open and drain your 2 cans, OR simply open the bag.

Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the chopped onion and saute' for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onion has softened.

Add the corn kernels and cook for 4-5 min. until they are just tender (if using fresh) add the chilis and stir.

Stir in the cream cheese and parmesan cheese. Cook over low heat until both cheeses have melted and the corn is coated in the loveliness of the cream. Season with salt and pepper. This is best served either immediately or use a small crock pot.

I am linking this to the Hearth and Soul Hop!

8 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful Christy - so much nicer than ordinary 'creamed corn' that is for sure! I love that it's spicy too, and that if you can't get corn on the cob you can use frozen - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That corn and cream looks delicious, I make soup with corn, now got one more recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing with hearth and soul blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really yummy! I think it is great that kids are encouraged to cook for school!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious! I love the combination of cream chesse and spiciness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. April - thanks! it is much nicer than ordinary creamed corn.
    Swathi - I bet you like this one!
    Miriam - thanks!
    Jenn - I so agree, it is a great way to learn about a culture! And to cook!
    Alea - I adore the spiciness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3 Researches REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete