My Followers are the Greatest! I just love them!

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Puffed Pancakes

I have been searching for different breakfast options. My kids are too old to suddenly like oatmeal after having free reign on sugary breakfast cereals their whole lives. I came across this oven pancake recipe here and tried it out this morning. You definatly want to spend some time at this lovely woman's blog - she has the most amazing "pantry" I have ever seen.

This is the original recipe, which I followed to the letter - something I rarely do. Oh, it puffed up beautifully. What I didn't notice until I had poured the batter into the pie tin was that there was no sweetener in it. My boys thought I had made pizza for breakfast. Next time I make it I will put a little something sweet in the batter. I liked it as is but my kids expected a little bit more sweet in their "pancakes". My comments below are in purple!

Puffed Pancake


3 TBSP butter (I used 3 but wonder if 2 would have been enough - there was a lot of butter)
3 eggs (powdered eggs will not work for this)
2/3 cup milk (reconstituted powdered is fine)
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp vanilla extract
powdered sugar
Thawed frozen blueberries, canned peaches, canned pears, fresh berries, or your topping of choice. (I made an apple/pear topping by cooking 2 apples and1 pear in water with butter and brown sugar added)

Some of my kids skipped the topping and put syrup on them, the ones with the fruit topping added cinnamon and sugar to theirs.

Preheat the oven to 450. Melt the butter in a 9-inch pie pan (I use a glass one) in the oven (watch that it doesn’t burn).
Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and milk, then sift in the flour, whisking it until well combined. Mix in the vanilla extract.
Remove the pie pan carefully from the oven and pour in the mixture. On a low shelf, bake for 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.

Remove from the oven. Serve filled with fruit. Dust with powdered sugar.



Thoughts for next time: add a sweetener to the batter, would also taste good as a breakfast pizza with sauce and cheese and maybe eggs all on top.

I wonder do you always follow a recipe exact or do you tweek it from the beginning?
I think this will become a winner at my house.

0 comments:

Post a Comment