Well, I thought I those days were over until I ran across several recipes for Cream O Soups and decided to make one of my own. Personally, I think any type of mushrooms would work - button, portobello, cremini or any combination. Today I used a mixture.
It can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for a week or frozen for about 3-4 months. Just thaw in the fridge. Perfect for holiday cooking. Make up some ahead and it will be as easy as popping a can on cooking day.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 lb mushrooms diced
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice (I just sqeezed 1/2 lemon in the soup)
- 1 small onion, diced -shallots would be good substitution
- 2 TBS butter
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 TBS parsley
- ¼ tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 cups broth - mushroom or chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups whole milk or heavy cream
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- Add butter to a medium sized soup pot and heat over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions and saute until tender and the liquid released from the mushrooms is gone.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the wine to deglaze the pan. Return the pan to the heat and let the wine simmer until almost gone, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir in flour until all the vegetables are coated. Cook a minute or two to get rid of the raw flour taste.
- Stir in the broth and milk and simmer about 5-7 minutes on low, do not boil, keep the heat low and barely simmering until thickened.
I am linking this to the Hearth and Soul Hop
Monday Mania @ The Healthy Home Economist
Tuesday Night Supper Club hosted by Christy at Fudge Ripple
What's Cooking? Recipe Blog Hop @ My Simple Walk