My Followers are the Greatest! I just love them!

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Stewed Garbanzo Beans with Chicken - Bittman Style




This recipe is my submission to the Brand Spankin' New Recipe Hop - Tackling Bittman - A Recipe Hop hosted by myself and two other amazing bloggers - Alex at A Moderate Life and Dr. Laura at Who is Laura.
We are all thrilled to be cooking from Mark Bittman's recipes and hope you will join us in the fun.

This stewed dish is exotic in flavor and origin - its seasonings remind you of food from Spain/North Africa.  It is not too crazy exotic that my kids didn't like it - some of them loved it as a matter of fact!

It has chicken in the title but the chicken can be omitted easily and it is a great vegetarian meal.

I am excited because I was able to use the chicken that I helped butcher - it was almost a religious experience, eating of our own chickens. I knew where they came from, everything they had eaten and that they were happy and healthy chickens. If you have never eaten heritage, free range chicken it is a little different - these chickens are lean, very little fat on them - definitely not your grocery store chicken.

I love that this has garbanzo beans ( I just love the garbanzo name - way more fun than chickpeas) in them - I just adore them and am always trying to sneak them into our meal plan. This was a hit!

Stewed Garbanzo Beans with Chicken
4 cups cooked or canned garbanzo beans
2 cups bean -cooking liquid, stock, or water
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 TBS neutral oil - I used coconut oil
2 to 3 pounds chicken parts, preferably leg - thigh pieces separated at the joint, skin removed if you want. I used a whole cut up chicken and a half because these birds don't have a lot of meat.
1 large onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot chopped
1 TBS minced garlic
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp ground coriander (I didn't have any)
2 tsp ground cumin
2 cups peeled seeded, and chopped tomato - you can use canned and I did, just include the juice
Chopped fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish

1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Warm the beans in a large pot with liquid; add salt and pepper. Adjust the heat so the mixture bubbles very slowly.
2. Put the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken on all sides. Season with salt and pepper, transfer chicken to a roasting pan, and put in oven.
3. Pour off all but 3 TBS of fat in skillet. Turn the heat down to medium and add the onions, celery and carrot. Cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin and tomato and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any bits. Add the mixture to the simmering beans.
4. When the chicken has cooked for about 15 minutes, check for doneness. When it is ready, remove from oven. When the veggies are tender, put the garbanzo beans and vegetables on a large deep platter, top with chicken and garnish and serve.

This can be a vegetarian meal if you omit the chicken and saute either eggplant cubes or slices of zucchini in a 1/4 cup olive oil until tender. Then combine the veggie with the chickpeas and their seasonings and roast for about 10 minutes until the mixture is bubbly and the top begins to brown.

If you like garbanzo beans you should check out my Mediterranean Stew over Couscous!

I am linking this to the NEW Blog Hop - Tackling Bittman: A Recipe Hop - the new button is below!
Photobucket
I am also linking this to the Lovely Mrs. Jenny Matlock's AlphabeThursday = G is for Garbanzo Beans! 

and Wholesome Whole Foods at HealthFoodLover

Chickpeas on FoodistaChickpeas

27 comments:

  1. Interesting recipe! I am a hummus person myself! Great photos and tasty looking dish! Thanks Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean when you explain the difference b/w grocery store chickens and free range or perhaps organic ones. The taste is so different. I cant find great chickens in Montreal. It has become very expensive. I love the recipe. Very nutritious and tasty. Thanks for sharing.

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool that you ate your own home grown chicken. the soup looks very comforting and satisfying :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you name them so you knew who you were feasting on? HaHa...thanks for a new something for dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks wonderful. The recipe is filled with such yummy ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a perfect fall dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good God, we love Garbanzo beans!!!!! We try to put them in all kinds of recipes!

    Loved it

    Wysteria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this recipe - I will be stealing it for sure!!! Thank you.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne - it was unusual but tasty!

    Tracy - no need to steal - I am giving it to you!

    Ann Marie - it is too bad that good chicken (and beef and pork) is so hard to come by.

    Danielle - I really liked that we knew all about the meat we were eating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Bittman's recipes...

    Maybe I'll just have to join in, we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  11. RMW - I would love it if you would! I love him too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll have to try this one, because I LOVE garbanzo beans.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've gotta remember to cook with garbanzos more often. I love the little buggers, but just forget about them. I'm so excited to see what's cooking for the Bitty Hop. Thanks for being a great host for the Hearth and Soul hop, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like such a yummy, hearty dish. Great flavors here with the ginger, cumin and coriander. Sounds like a perfect meal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Christy, I have to make this one - I love garbanzos (I always have some on hand), and I love that you were able to use your own chickens as well.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I plan on trying this recipe this weekend! Will let you know what my family thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful you could make this with your own chickens - that is fantastic! The recipe sounds lovely - delicious and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! I make a similar recipe with pork. I never thought of using chicken. Guess what I'm going to do next time? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This recipe looks really great! I love garbanzo beans, but usually just throw a handful in soup or in a salad. This is going on my TRY list!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds YUMMY! Big garbanzo bean fan here too:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good morning! This sounds like a delicious recipe. We eat a lot of garbanzo beans and our daughter loves them, too. I will send her a link!

    I like the idea you can make it vegetarian as well.

    Thanks for a delicious stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's letter "G".

    As Tony the Tiger would say...this post was GGGGGGRRRRRReatttt!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice recipe Christy! Never tried Garbanzo beans much, but this looks yummy. Especially with your OWN CHICKEN!! You go girl!

    Thanks for sharing on the Tackling Bittman Recipe Hop!!

    Dr. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  23. I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this Foodista widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about garbanzo beans, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Christy! Finally getting around to Tackling Bittman on this sunday night. I really like this recipe! I am gonna have to check it out. Chicken goes so well with chickpeas in my book. I also like that this can be made vegetarian if you so desire! Thanks for hosting and posting on the Tackling Bittman recipe hop and here's to its success! All the best! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  25. 3 Researches REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you actually get rid of fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete