Ellie and Joe wanted some of the bloggy picture love - tired of baby sister always showing up on the blog. I think they approve of the afterschool snack!
I think that it was really good but I wish I had topped it with the caramel coffee sauce that he suggests so I am adding that to the bottom. If you try it let me know how wonderful the caramel was OK?
Quick Coffee Cake
8 TBS cold butter, plus butter for the pan
2 cups plus 3 TBS of all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 Tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9" square pan with butter. Combine the 3 TBS of flour, 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon, and 3 TBS of cold butter with the nuts; mix it with your fingers until it just comes together. This is the streusel mixture - save it for later.
- Combine the remaining flour, the baking powder, salt, remaining sugar, cinnamon, and butter (cut into bits), in a bowl - you can use an electric mixer for this, on low speed). Or mix well with a fork until all of the flour is coated with some butter.
- Still on low speed, beat the egg into the batter, then the milk until blended. Pour half the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle over it about half the streusel mixture. Add the remaining batter, then the remaining streusel. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool on a rack for at least 15 minutes before cutting. Best served warm, but not bad a day or tow later, reheated.
Caramel Coffee Sauce
2 cups sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup freshly brewed coffee
1/2 cup cream
- Combine the sugar and salt with the coffee and cream in a broad saucepan or deep skillet over medium-low heat. Cook until the sugar dissolves, without stirring, but swirling the pan gently, 3-5 minutes.
- The mixture will bubble and gradually darken; cook until it's caramel colored and the temperature measures 245 degrees F, about 15 minutes.
- Drizzle/pour over coffee cake.
Other places I am linking this too:
Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday
Christy @ Fudge Ripple's Tuesday Night Supper Club
I am a little late but I also linked this to Chaya's My Sweet and Savory's My Meatless Monday!