DON'T FREAK OUT IT ISN'T TOO LATE!
Halloween costumes can be quite expensive and really rather cute - but in my humble opinion a total waste of time and money. And that is two things I don't like to waste!
I know, call me a joy kill, but I can't tell you how many times in my life you go to tons of trouble with a costume and then it is cold or rainy or snowing and you have to bundle up and no one sees the costume any way.
- So my first frugal tip is buy some face paint when it is on sale if possible, make your little one a cat - nose, whiskers - put a headband on with ears and call it a costume.
- With your older ones, have them wear any dress up outfit from the toy bin and color their faces to match - my kids always like to go as "dead whatevers" you know, dead cheerleaders, dead football players, dead politicians (oh wait that is my husband).
- Call around to family and friends - do they have an old costume just sitting around not being worn? Score!
- Check out the internet for great money saving ideas - I found a great one with unique Halloween Costumes for women - but it will give you lots of ideas for kids.
- It is a little late but you can often find GREAT costumes super cheap at garage sales.
- Don't forget the Picken's often has great items that make wonderful costumes!
- Look in the recycling bin for boxes and plastic bottles - loads of costumes can be made from them!
|Papa and Mini-Papa|
Just to get you started here are 8 great cheap costumes for kids!
- Angel: Use an old white sheet, spray it lightly with some clear spray paint and toss glitter on it before the paint has a chance to dry. Make a halo and the wings out of clothes hangers covered with aluminum foil.
- Hippie: old clothes, sandals. Old (or new) tie dyed shirt, then draw symbols on it with a permanent marker. Top off the outfit with a bandanna, sun glasses and a pack of cigarettes (deck of cards) rolled up in the sleeve.
- Gypsie - Oversized clothes in bright colors, for girls a big white shirt, big gold earrings from mom.
- Steve Erkel aka Nerd: Too small pants, shirt buttoned up wrong, hair slicked back, old pair of glasses with tape, white socks, BIG book to carry under their arm.
- Bum or Hobo: Old clothes, dad's garden or old work clothes are great, old hat, use watercolor paint to put beard on him.
- Silly Clown: Use mismatched oversized or too small clothes from everyone's closet...if you don't have a wig, make a hat from construction paper or use an old one, decorate it outlandishly with flowers, pins, etc...
- Ninja: Black clothes. Mom or Dad's would be the right amount of loose. Make a ninja mask out of a small scrap of black cloth. Make your weapons out of card- board and color and cover with aluminum foil - easy to make Ninja stars, knife. Use long stick or old broom handle for a bo, take two paper towel rolls, connect with piece of twine, cover them with black construction paper and you have num-chucks.
- Tacky Tourist: loud clothes, camera, hat, maps sticking out of every pocket, use your imagination.
- Princess or Movie Star: Use one of mom's old slips, or silky nightgowns. You can get sparkley netting at a discount store for between 75 cents and $1 a yard. 2 or 3 yards attached to the bottom half of the slip will make a billowy skirt. Use a long length of it doubled and wrap around the shoulders, clasp it with a pretty pin. Mom's jewelry and makeup add the finishing touch.
- Hunter or Soldier: My boys always had some camouflage clothing, just piece together what ever combination you want, apply some paint to the face. Big work boots if you have them.
- 80's Rock Star: Torn clothes, spike their hair using hair spray. Make jewelry with safety pins, clip on earrings, the dog's collar :)....paint their face with makeup... Spray on colored hairspray is cheap!
|For Halloween she will be wearing rapper clothes - from our closets!|
Any great costumes you have come up with that are free or cheap?
I will be linking this to Works for Me Wednesdays and Mrs. Jenny Matlock's AlphabeThursdays!
And a new to me meme Tip Junkies Tip Me Tuesday.
all crafts Handmade Projects ~ Tip Me Tuesday