My Followers are the Greatest! I just love them!

Friday, October 2, 2009

Reconomincs

Last June I posted about Reconomics on my other blog The Rock Spot. I thought it would be nice to list how I have been practicing this lately.

But first what is reconomics?

Reconomics? Yes, if you have ever bought something used - book, car, or house you are a reconomist.

The Reconomy is good economy. Good for the planet, good for the pocket book. Recycle, resell, reuse, rehab. Buying, selling, donating and sharing "gently used" items rather than always going for the brand spankin' new gizmo or gadget.

The Reconomy also promotes simplicity. By getting rid of the stuff you don't want or need anymore through selling, donating or sharing your life becomes simpler.

Not only does each item that is reused, recycled, rehabbed and or resold help both parties it one less thing that needs energy to be produced, it reduces the size of your personal environmental footprint and one less thing landing in the landfill. I love reconomics!


So how have I practiced reconomics lately?
  • Gave my sister all of my youngest's hand-me-downs.
  • Used my fall "decoration plates" as plates - that's right we are eating off of them.
  • The glass jars that my juice comes in I have been using to freeze homemade chicken broth.
  • Used what was left of sausage, potato and cabbage stew to make potato pancakes.
  • Gifted some of my homeschooling friends with curriculum that I have from my homeschooling days. (Still have tons to give away!)
  • Bagged up and donated a lot of our toys - downsized to only needing 2 small toy boxes. (Not bad remember I have 8 children!)
  • Use regular old clothespins to keep my bags closed instead of buying chip clips.
  • Made garlic bread with old-ish hamburger buns and hot dog buns. (mix butter with garlic powder, spread on bread, broil till brown, flip and toast. Yummy!)
  • Begun my Christmas shopping - at the thrift stores (don't tell my kids tee hee)
  • Using thrift store glass jars to store my grains, sugar, tea etc.
  • Put old high school long sleeve T's in my husband's work shirt pile so he can wear them as undershirts this winter.

What about you? How do you practice reconomics?

Check out Life as Mom's Frugal Fridays for more great ideas.

3 comments:

  1. I love this word - reconomics...very clever...did you come up with it?

    We try to practice reconomics everyday from cloth napkins to line drying clothes...it is a lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I didnt make that up - not sure where I heard it first.

    You are so right - reconomics is a lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great list! Love the Thrift Store Christmas shopping one, last yr I got some boxers out of storage that my older boys had already worn, maybe 2 times, washed them, boxed them and gave them to my youngest. He had no idea.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete