My Followers are the Greatest! I just love them!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Z is for Zucchini

Z is for Zucchini!
This is the last week for regularly scheduled Alphabe-thursdays classes.
Can you believe it took me all week to think this up?? Yes I am a little concerned about myself too. Zucchini is the ultimate in summer foods. It brings to mind abundance and plenty and deliciousness. Zucchini is a very versatile and frugal veggie - you can bake, boil, broil, saute', bread it and eat it raw. It is great in a stir-fry and is unbelievable in meatloaf. I always keep some shredded in the freezer.
I am going to share my mom's recipe and then some links to great zucchini recipes.


Mimi's  Zucchini
2 or 3 Zucchini sliced thin
1 onion, sliced
1/2 stick of butter
1 large can of oven roasted tomatoes
Salt and Pepper
(I add 2 garlic cloves smashed to the pot when the onions are cooking)

Parboil zucchini (boil in large pot for 5 minutes and drain- saving 1 cup of water)
Heat butter in large skillet add onion and begin to cook, when soft add zucchini  and one cup of water from pan and tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste - you can always add more at the end. Turn heat down to simmer and let cook for at least a half an hour.




Shephard's Pie
My own creation - I add zucchini to the pie for a different taste

Mediterranean Stew over Couscous
Another way to eat your zucchini that my family loves.

Cinnamon and Spice and Everything nice has a delicious Zucchini Fritter Recipe
Alicia has a super simple yet delicious Zucchini Parmesan
The Gluten Free Homemaker is sharing Garlic Lime Zucchini - fresh and different.
Organic and Thrifty shows us how to make Zucchini noodles and a Meat Sauce.
SnoWhite at Finding Joy in my Kitchen has a great recipe for "Zucchini" Pizza
Ashlie and Alfred share zucchini bread recipe and one for "zucchini bread oatmeal".

This is just a short list - there are million ways to prepare Zucchini - don't turn down any that are gifted to you.  

So please share how you enjoy Zucchini!

I am also linking this to HealthFoodLover's Wholesome Whole Foods 
and Ann Kroeker's Food on Friday

Don't forget to come back on Tuesday and link up to Two For Tuesdays Blog Hop!

23 comments:

  1. You're right...zucchini is so versatile!! We picked 4 small-ish ones earlier in the week and used them in pasta, stir-fry, and breakfast tacos this week....YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi christy! This recipe reminds me a bit of ratatouille, but its easier to say mimi's zuccini! In the summer we usually have a ton of them and are adding them in to everything so glad you have a variety of recipes to share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love zucchini! I never get enough from friends with gardens,(honestly!) so this year when we made raised beds we planted some of that Z vegetable. I'll be grilling it, making it into cake and stewing it. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the vegetable zucchini,
    yummy and smart z post.
    Happy zzzzz day!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all these zucchini recipes! It is extremely versatile! Thanks for including me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zucchini in meatloaf? Darn, I've never thought of that! I can't wait until my garden delivers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, zucchini in meatloaf. I just shred it and mix it in, it makes the loaf moister which is how we like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alex, it is a bit like ratatouille but no eggplant which my Joe is allergic to. (sad face - I love eggplant!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, the one with the tomatoes and garlic sounds yummy...my kind of dish..bkm

    ReplyDelete
  10. BKM -I put garlic in just about every savory dish. Keeps the vampires away y'know?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love zucchini! I made mashed potatoes with half russet potatoes and half zucchini. My daughter ate them up! Its a very versatile vegetable =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coconut Mama - what a great idea - I have used cauliflower but it never occurred to me to use zucchini. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Veggie fan here :)
    So, without hesitation I applaud your Z post! And I am passing this on to my beloved, who does our cooking :)
    Yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Muse - I am sure your beloved will make you some delicious food. I commented on your blog - but just wanted to say again how much I enjoyed my visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL I just came back to tell you how delighted I was to have you visit :) LOL

    The Yummy Details prose was my contribution for Tea Time Tuesday and can be found at...

    www.myladydujour.com

    or you can go back to the www.adivashammer.com and click the page tab which reads
    ~Life and Design~

    So delighted to hear from you Christy :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore zucchini, you're right about how versatile it is! I'm totally sad I didn't get to plant any this year, I share my veggie garden with a friend who doesn't like it and in the end there was no room because it's only a small plot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many recipes, so much zucchini, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Satakieli,
    oh how sad there was no room for the zucchini - I think it is in the rule book for gardens "#73 Must plant zucchini." LOL!

    Cheryl - you are so right - zucchini is the magical proliferating veggie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your mom's recipe sounds delicous. Now I'm off to check out the other zucchini recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummm!!! We love zuccini! Thank you sooo much for sharing all these recipes! I need to get to the grocery store and pick some up!

    Blessings & Aloha!
    (Please stop by for a check out the CSN giveaway on my post). Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My husband loves zucchini. I am going to have to check these recipes out. I often just oven roast it with onions, and tomatoes and eggplant and some olive oil. Yum.

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipes each week with us on Alphabe-Thursday!

    Your "Z" post was great as always Miss Christy.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Christy.

    Your Mum's recipe sounds really delicious. And I like the idea of adding zucchini to a Shephard's pie! Great Idea.

    Thanks for linking up to Wholesome Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love zucchini! It works in just about any recipe that uses a vegetable, and it adds fiber and vitamins to many different foods. When I make spaghetti sauce, I like to put some grated or finely diced zucchini in with the onions at the very beginning so it gets all toasty and yummy and then that flavor spreads all through the sauce, along with some good texture.

    Zucchini Tofu is one of my favorite zucchini recipes. Soy-free people could try making it with cooked cubed chicken.

    ReplyDelete