My Followers are the Greatest! I just love them!

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Tightening the Belt



So many of us are in need of tightening our belts so to speak. Save some dough. Be thriftier, cut back on spending. At first look it doesn't seem fun, something that we want to do. However, I believe it is all a matter of how you look at it. I have been thinking about this forced frugality that so many of us are under. I was trying to list all the positives here are a few:
  • Learn new skills - how to bake bread, tortillas, sew, garden are a few.
  • Less waste.
  • Actual belt tightening when frugal practice promote weight loss.
  • Practice thinking out of the box - which also help your mental health, better than crossword puzzles.
  • It is oh so earthy crunchy and green. Oh such a lovely color! When you buy less, waste less, cook from scratch, drive less, make your own cleaning products, replace paper towels with rags, use a family cloth, handkerchiefs instead of tissues just to mention a few you are being oh so earthy crunchy and a good steward of God's gifts to us. 
I have found one of the most important ways that I have saved money is to just stay home. Boring I know! But it has been huge on cutting back on impulse spending. If I stay out of the stores I cannot buy. Simple. I also don't need to stop for lunch/dinner or a snack somewhere if I am at home. For years shopping was my hobby. I do have many to buy for with 8 children but I have lots and lots of stuff that I don't need use want  anymore.

I have also noticed that by staying home I have the time to try the many activities that will save me money. I have a little more time to try and make those tortillas from scratch or make homemade cleaners. Gardening is another pastime that is so much healthier for me in numerous ways than my shopping hobby is!

A few more ideas to help you down the frugal crunchy path:
Many of my recipes are ones that I made up to use what leftovers I have it is a good place to get some inspiration of your own. They certainly Work for Me!

So what are you doing to tighten the belt? How are you being both frugal and crunchy?

 Added to 11th Heaven's Homemaker Monday. , Works for Me Wednesday.

8 comments:

  1. I think I do all of your ideas - except the tortillas (which is on my list to try this summer!)

    We also: Make our own laundry soap, fabric softner and body wash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking the dryer sheet suggestion one step further . . . try not using them at all (especially if you have wicking / sports fabric, it can actually damage the material's performance) or those dryer balls.

    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a good list and would be a help to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great points! When I switched over to "green" cleaning products (i.e., vinegar and baking soda), I was surprised at how frugal they are! It's always nice when healthy and frugal go together :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    This is my first visit to yours. Your frugal ideas are great. I can't wait to read more.

    Blessings
    Honey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas!

    We're tightening the belt by cooking from scratch, using less meat and cheaper cuts of meat, making good use of leftovers, making our own cleaning products, and like you, staying out of the stores! I don't know how much I'm missing if I don't see the inside of the store or look through the catalog.

    :o)

    Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am all with you here! awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of great ideas! :) Several of them are ones I am doing, and several are things I need to do. LOL

    I totally agree about the staying home. When I have weeks that I am mostly home, I spend SO MUCH less!

    ReplyDelete